Monday, February 8, 2010

Talks resumed with Pakistan

Yesterday I returned back to Delhi after attending my cousin's wedding. When I switched on the TV, the first news I heard was that New Delhi has agreed to resume talks with Pakistan. I was disappointed but not surprised. This has now become a ritual. Pakistan slaps India, India pauses engagement with Pakistan, talks resume after few months - one year this time. Nothing changes during these months nor anything changes after talks are resumed. Then there is another terrorist attack in few months or year and the cycle repeats.

I fail to understand why we don't have any long term policies/strategy when it comes to foreign affairs or defense. Why we always react to events and never try to preempt events to happen to our liking. I understand that political bosses in this country are a useless lot (most of them). But we do have IAS officers who are supposed to be the best brains of this country. Why have they not been able come out with a long term startegy to contain Pakistan. Are they not competent (can't help remembering Sharm El-Sheikh fiasco) or they are too pre-occupied advancing their own career by pleasing their political bosses.

Whatever be the case, all this is very demoralizing for the nation. People feel venerable to repeated terrorist attack from Pakistan and our government's inability to do anything about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment